My hopes for this Blog

Beste Internationale Collega, I am a Dutch TCK, married to a TCK, raising two TCK's and in my 18th year of teaching and coaching in an International school setting. It is my personal opinion that we, as those who work with International students and colleagues could use some resources in creating world classrooms; be it in Physical Education, a Kindergarten class, or AP Biology.
In my opinion an International classroom is one that has empathy for everyone's International story not only for the TCK but also for the Army kid, the missionary kid, the teacher kid, the navy kid, etc, etc. A classroom that shows who teaches there and who learns there, Internationals. Staff meetings that facilitate awareness around the topic of working and living in a transient culture. In-service sessions that give us hands on opportunities to create toolboxes which will help us connect with our peers better, with our students better and with their parents better; because we are not the same as a school back home. I am generalizing here but we are in schools where mobility and transition impact our climate, our community, our enjoyment of life, our jobs, our students and ourselves all the time. I believe that by being more aware; it will help us be a community of support, ideas, care, empathy, understanding and a willingness to learn from each other; whether you are only starting the international journey now, or whether you have been in it for a long time.
I look forward to sharing your tried and tested tricks and advice right here on The TCK Teacher. Here's to making it a small world, together; by giving ourselves and our students a safe place to call "Home" away from "Home", your classroom, our International schools. Ilse

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Poetry can be used in any subject (SA, MA) - "Where I'm From" to give students and teachers insight into each others cultural being

While taking the Culturally Relevant Teaching Course through the University of Northern Iowa this Spring of 2016; I was introduced to the following activity - Poetry writing. It was such a meaningful experience to myself as a TCK and also hearing from my peers sharing their cultural backgrounds. Below is the assignment with some examples as in how to get started. I found that once I started my "Where I'm From poem, I used the 7 areas as guides and then things just fell into place.
Happy writing, happy sharing and you might want to grab some tissues =).

Where I’m From: Inviting Student Lives Into the Classroom

Follow the format provided below to create an original, “Where I’m From” Poem

1. Items found around your home:  bobby pins, stacks of newspapers, coupons

2. Items found in your yard: broken rakes, dog bones, hoses coiled like green snakes (comparisons are good to use)

3. Items found in their neighborhood: the corner grocery, Mr. Tate’s beat up Ford Fairlane, the “home base” plum tree.

4. Names of relatives, especially ones that link you to the past: Uncle Einar and Aunt Eva, Claude, the Christensen branch.

5. Sayings: “If I’ve told you once . . .”

6. Names of foods and dishes that recall family gatherings: lude fish or tamales or black eyed peas.

7. Names of Places they keep their childhood memories: Diaries, boxes, underwear drawers, inside the family bible.

And here is a sample poem written by George Ella Lyon that we were given in the course to guide us

Where I’m From

George Ella Lyon

I am from clothespins,

from Clorox and carbon-tetrachloride.

I am from the dirt under the back porch.

(Black, glistening

it tasted like beets.)

I am from the forsythia bush,

The Dutch Elm

whose long gone limbs I remember

as if they were my own.

I am from fudge and eyeglasses,

from Imogene and Alafair.

I am from the know-it-alls

And the pass-it-ons,

from perk up and pipe down.

I’m from He restoreth my soul

with a cottonball lamb

and ten verses I can say myself.

I’m from Artemus and Billie’s Branch,

fried corn and strong coffee.

From the finger my grandfather lost

To the auger

the eye my father shut to keep his sight.

Under my bed was a dress box

spilling old pictures,

a sift of lost faces

to drift beneath my dreams.

I am from those moments - -

snapped before I budded - -

leaf-fall from the family tree.

Below in Orange is a poem that I wrote and that I am going to use with my students. As I was thinking of how else I could use the power of the where I am from poem. I thought of all the things that make you who you are and you could if you wanted to write a poem about all of them ( as an athlete, a wife, a sister, a daughter, a mother, an artist, a musician, as a student, as a girl/boy, as a human being, etc). I am going to ask my students to pick a "topic" and write on that to give me some insight into who they are.
As a teacher I am from

Indonesia, Holland and Botswana. Where my parents were born and raised and where I started my International journey.

I am from Het Schrijverke, The NIS, The Emmaschool, Het Loo, AES, The HALO and Springfield College. Schools that gave me a Dutch foundation and an American degree in K-12 Physical Education.

I am from musicals, choir, alto saxophone and school spirit. From babysitting, to head lifeguard and swim instructor, from committees and yes I can help, anything to promote school spirit and pride.  I am from morning practice and afternoon drylands, from volleyball court to field hockey pitch. I am from MVP and most inspirational athlete, from gold medals and school records. I am from big fish in a small pond and most athletic senior superlative, to non-starter, bench warmer, 50 meter pool and small fish in a large pond.

I am from together in teamwork and learning from others. From trying and trying, sometimes too much. Of focus on the journey, the memories, the growth. Instead of the grade, that all consuming number that drives me mad. And in my opinion often gets in the way of the real learning.

I am from what you see is what you get and always the benefit of the doubt. I am all about second chances even if it breaks my heart. I am from accountability and honesty and in the end, it’s up to you.

I am from song and dance and we are all in this together. From I grew up like you but we are all different, which we should celebrate and it is in my eyes what makes this journey special. I am from start of the year butterflies and tears at the end, no matter how often I go through hello’s and goodbye’s. I am from caring and sharing and lots of passion. Of you never know when you are making a memory, so be open to new experiences no matter how challenging, reach out and meet someone new, you never know you might be friends for life, be patient and kind because others might not have yet figured out how to walk this international road. But I am here, and I want to travel with you because you matter and our connections make the world a smaller and more enjoyable place.

No comments:

Post a Comment