My hopes for this Blog

Beste Internationale Collega, I am a Dutch TCK, married to a TCK, raising two TCK's and in my 18th year of teaching and coaching in an International school setting. It is my personal opinion that we, as those who work with International students and colleagues could use some resources in creating world classrooms; be it in Physical Education, a Kindergarten class, or AP Biology.
In my opinion an International classroom is one that has empathy for everyone's International story not only for the TCK but also for the Army kid, the missionary kid, the teacher kid, the navy kid, etc, etc. A classroom that shows who teaches there and who learns there, Internationals. Staff meetings that facilitate awareness around the topic of working and living in a transient culture. In-service sessions that give us hands on opportunities to create toolboxes which will help us connect with our peers better, with our students better and with their parents better; because we are not the same as a school back home. I am generalizing here but we are in schools where mobility and transition impact our climate, our community, our enjoyment of life, our jobs, our students and ourselves all the time. I believe that by being more aware; it will help us be a community of support, ideas, care, empathy, understanding and a willingness to learn from each other; whether you are only starting the international journey now, or whether you have been in it for a long time.
I look forward to sharing your tried and tested tricks and advice right here on The TCK Teacher. Here's to making it a small world, together; by giving ourselves and our students a safe place to call "Home" away from "Home", your classroom, our International schools. Ilse

Monday, August 15, 2016

It is the first Monday of the 2016-2017 school year




Beste Collega's,  I want to welcome you to a new International school year.  New years are good in my opinion as this is a chance for new beginnings, new traditions, new habits, new plans, new actions, you name it, it's possible! 

 I have worked hard on this blog and I hope that it will grow into the tool that I envision it to be. A toolkit for all of us as International educators to share ideas, tips, tricks and activities, as well as articles and thoughts in order for us to support the kids in our classes and hallways. 

 I also hope that it will support you; the International Educator, because you are part of this cycle of transitions. You say many hello's and just as many goodbye's. They shape you and in turn it shapes your classroom. May this be a place where you find recognition, knowledge and camaraderie. 




I look forward to hearing all about it. Happy Travels. Sincerely, Ilse

No comments:

Post a Comment